Monday 3 October 2011

Video Sharing

One member of my class has been sharing videos with the rest of us at the start of each lesson, telling us about the particular aspect(s) of that video they like. This practice has been helping to develop my knowledge of a range of music genres and the codes typically found within their videos.

Tomorrow I will be sharing Ed Sheeran, You Need Me, I Don't Need You


I find this performance video to be fascinating viewing. The most outstanding and striking feature is that the performer is someone concerned only with fast hand movements, whilst Ed Sheeran does not actually appear on screen until the closing seconds of the video. The camera cuts away rarely to make some loose cultural references, though other than this the audience is shown just the performer from a few different angles. Normally I don't think such a production could work but the unique performance makes the audience interested in what is going on. Of course the video is also shot in black and white which offers connotations which have been discussed in previous posts.

Similar




I also want to make a quick comment on this video Will Young, Leave Right Now which my teacher shared with the class. The video is similar to Ed Sheeran's in that it is a performance featuring one main character on camera throughout. The difference between the videos though, is that it's what is going on behind Will Young in his video that captures the interest of the audience.

These are two different ways of filming a one-person performance and will be very useful going forward should I decide to produce such a video.

No comments:

Post a Comment